My grandmother on my father's side has diabetes and she's been on a strict diet ever since its diagnosis many years ago.
Diabetes is a disease of the pancreas that involves the hormone insulin. This hormone is essential in regulating energy and metabolism of our body and if it is over produced or under produced, chances are, you have a diabetes. Because diabetes is a metabolic disorder, doctors advise patients to monitor their blood glucose levels at regular intervals. Poor or late management of the disease may lead to blindness, organ failure and even worse, death. Diabetes is a preventable disease even if you have history in the family. Doctors suggest these five steps to prevent diabetes:
1. Be more active - excercise regularly to prevent glucose from stocking up in your body and it boosts your sensitivity to insulin.
2. Eat fiber-rich foods - good digestion is also the key to eliminating excesses in your body. Aside from preventing diabetes, it is also good for the heart. Fiber rich foods include fruits, vegetables, nuts and whole grains.
3. Eat more whole grains - in relation to number 2, whole grains aid in proper digestion and elimination of unwanted chemicals in our body.
4. Lose the extra weight - numbers 1 to 3 are some of the best ways to lose weight. We all know that most diabetics are overweight or obese. So, shed off those pounds.
5. No to fad diets - do not deprive yourself of all the essentials nutrients. Balance is the key word here. Follow the food pyramid and you will never get lost.
If you are already diagnosed with diabetes, do not deprive yourself of eating delicious foods. There are a lot of diabetic recipes that are delicious. My grandmother, despite her being diabetic, loves foods. In fact, she loves fish dishes. You can also plan and prepare diabetic meals for your family without them knowing... I know you love them and you do not want them to be diabetic. One misconception about being a diabetic is that they are not allowed to have their desserts. This is absolutely wrong. There are plenty of yummy desserts that diabetics and non-diabetics can both enjoy.
Just because you are diabetic does not mean you have to limit yourself and your horizon. It is in fact the high time for you to change your lifestyle and do all stuffs like any non-diabetic person do.