I started singing in my head "I did my best but I guess my best wasn't good enough" in the middle of doing my VA task. Yes, that is James Ingram's Just Once. Of all the songs... It is not that it has a significant meaning, I just find it weird because for one, it isn't my favorite song and I am not playing any music to influence me into singing it. In fact, whenever I hear the song it reminds me of a neighbor who always sing it whenever he joins contests. He did not win in any of those.
I love to sing and I enjoy watching singing contests, both local and abroad. I don't have the voice that would sell albums but I get a 100 score in Magic Sing... that's enough affirmation that I have the potential. Haha! I just love it whenever I express my love for myself. Going back to my watching contests, of all the amateur singing contests that I have watched, these are the most popular song choices:
1. My Way by Frank Sinatra - this is so popular that there's even a joke that you could die if you will sing the song. That is so morbid. The reason behind it was that a couple of years ago, almost every news about murders happened in night clubs and videoke bars and the victims were all killed while singing My Way. There is no truth to the spreading text messages that the song was cursed by someone when he got a 50 score in a videoke.
2. Skyline Pigeon by Elton John - also popular in videoke AND during wakes. Yes, in the Philippines, instead of having quiet moments while mourning at the wake of a deceased relative, people would sing until their voice boxes could no longer produce sounds. I think this became a popular song piece because you can practice it just by going at wakes.
3. Hero by Mariah Carey - contest singers want a lasting first impression and what better way to do that is by singing songs that could rip a non-singer's throat. If you could reach Miss Carey's notes, you could be at the finals and be the champion.
4. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston - see number 4 reason. Any Whitney Houston songs actually... everything that was sang in her movie with Kevin Costner, the Bodyguard. Were you able to watch it?
5. It's All Coming Back To Me Now by Celine Dion - I tried singing it but I ended giving up before reaching the second stanza. This song is really hard to master. It is a popular piece because it really challenges the vocal range of the singer. If you could reach Miss Dion's notes, too, you're on your way to the finals.
6. Listen either of Charice's or Beyonce's - this is just a new song but it is becoming a popular contest piece. I heard it first when Beyonce sang it in Oprah Show. It was only recently that the song became popular again when Charice sang it during the Oscar's after show party. She got a standing ovation, I believe.
Can you think of other popular contest pieces?