"Listen or thy tongue will keep thee deaf."
- Indian Proverb
Although listening is one of the most important skills you can have, many of us finds it hard to listen. We need to listen because we want to get information, we want to understand things, we listen for us to be entertained and we want to learn. Having enumerated those reasons, we should therefore improve that skill.
Many conflicts were resolved because of listening and still more are not yet resolved because nobody wants to really listen. Listening is also an act of respect.
So, my tips to improve your listening skill:
1. Give individual attention
2. Avoid interrupting the speaker
3. Respect the right to share
4. Repress emotional responses
5. Pay attention to non-verbal messages