Skip to main content

My Thoughts: Angelina Jolie's Preventive Double Mastectomy

Angelina Jolie recently revealed that she underwent double mastectomy last April as a preventive measure following the discovery that she is carrying a cancer gene. The chances for her to develop cancer dropped to 5% from 87%. Her mother died of ovarian cancer and seeing her mother throughout the battle and her six young children were the motivations for her to do the procedure. She also considers the removal of her ovaries.

I think it was heroic of her. It was a courageous feat to sacrifice the removal of a part of her femininity and choose to live longer for her to see her children grow up. I remember the famous Miss Universe 2013 question "What is the essence of being a woman?" that was confidently answered by Sushmita Sen of India. After 10 years, it was only now that it was answered most profoundly.

Her revelation made us think that we do have options for our health and our happiness. Sometimes, we have to give up a part of ourselves to someone or something that matters the most--ensuring that we are there for our kids so that they may be able to grow up as loving and caring citizens as possible.


Popular Posts

Dream Interpretation: Collapsing Building

I had a dream last night about a building collapsing with me and some other co-workers inside it.
We're cleaning up some rooms at the first floor while construction men, well, do their job in other parts of the building particularly the third floor. After hours of cleaning, my co-workers and I decided to call it a day and get our things at the third floor. When we got there, the building started to tilt and in just a few seconds, everything collapsed. None in the group got hurt as the floor we're standing on wasn't damaged, in fact, it slid down a slope while we still hold on to dear life. At the end of a downhill ride, we found ourselves on a lake. I saw some of my co-workers crying and calling for help.
********************
To dream of cleaning, according to Dream Moods, implies you are overcoming major obstacles in life. You are moving ahead toward a new stage in your life.
To see a building in a dream is to see the self. How high you are in the building represents your …

Something hairy, soft and wet

It is the time of gift giving and Kris Kringle again. Of course, our office is also in to the spirit of generosity. It is already our third week and I am the lamest gift giver lately. I have to make amends to that since my 'baby' is someone who is dear to me, someone who I trust.

I already have the 'something embarrassing to carry in public' and it is too embarrassing for me to show in this post. Let me just focus on the 'something hairy and soft' and 'something wet'. I was lucky to find both in one cute gift set... The hairy and soft teddy bear key chain and the wet but fragrant cologne.

Don't worry if I spilled the beans, my officemates have no idea that I have a blog.

Do you have Kris Kringle in your office?

Kris Kringle Something Sticky Suggestions

This week's office Kris Kringle is something sticky.  I haven't done shopping yet but I am eying these items as possible gift for my Monita.

Sephora Apple Pomegranate body collection, $30.  The set contains body butter, body scrub tube, body wash and bubble bath.

Lancome Juicy Tubes set, $29.50 at Neiman Marcus.  The set contains 6 various lip gloss colors from you favorite color palette--Sparling Pinks or Shimmering Neutrals.

Benefit De-puffing Action eye gel, $28 at Macy's.

I wonder what I will get on Friday.  I'm excited.